The Nockberge Biosphere Reserve
Experience the Nock Mountains’ Health-Promoting Powers
Thanks to the gentle summits and unique climate, the Nock Mountains are home to a large variety of species. Resistant Swiss Pine and one-of-a-kind Speick are among the mountains’ more interesting species. Take a barefoot hike with a national park ranger and learn more about the effects of Swiss Pine wood. Join our Speick experience active programme which centres around this superstar of the Nock Mountains. Impressive guided hikes will teach you everything about this alpine valerian plant that only grows in the Nock Mountains.
From a geological point of view, Carinthia’s Nock Mountains are some of Europe’s most interesting and oldest uplands. In addition to its abundant plants and animals, the Nockberge Biosphere Reserve is home to plenty of Austrian culture.
Healthy and Beautiful Thanks to Nature in the Nockberge Biosphere Reserve
- Swiss Pine, the wood with calming and balancing effects
- Speick, the stimulating and harmonising plant
- Mineral spring water with therapeutic and pain-relieving properties
Protection and Preservation of the Nock Mountains
Carinthia’s Nock Mountains were named a UNESCO "Biosphere Reserve – model region for sustainable development". This makes the Nockberge Biosphere Reserve one of 598 biosphere reserves world-wide.
Goals of the Nockberge Biosphere Reserve
- To preserve the original natural surroundings
- To protect the area’s plants and animals including their habitat
- To provide our guests with an impressive experience in the great outdoors